Better Boss vs. Salary Increase

Satisfaction level hits new low.

Why 2/3 of Americans are unhappy with their jobs? It’s because they don’t get along well with their bosses. Career Expert Michelle McQuaid says that $360 billion a year are costing companies in lost productivity. She also conducted a survey of 1,000 Americans. What she found was that 65% were in need of a better boss. They believe a better boss would make them happier. But, for the rest of those surveyed (35%), a salary increase would make them feel the same.

Some other interesting findings from McQuaid’s survey:

  • 70 % men and women said they would be happier if they got along better with their boss. By the way, they were equal in inquiry. But, younger workers feel more strongly about this, almost 80%.
  • 60% say they would do a better job, if they got along better with their boss.
  • 47 % have an opinion that when stress levels of their bosses are high they do not stay in control.
  • 42 % say that their bosses don’t work very hard.
  • Only 38 % were satisfied with their boss and described their attitude as “great.”
  • 31 % feel uninspired by their boss.
  • Close to 20 % say their boss displays no integrity.
  • 15 % feel downright miserable.

These findings support the latest research from Gallup. The researchers have made up a conclusion that trouble with an immediate manager is No. 1. That is why people leave their jobs.