U.S. Citizenship for Military Personnel

Many people are surprised to hear that members of the MilitaryFamilyU.S. military and their families have issues with the U.S. immigration system. But unfortunately it happens very often.

Members of the U.S. armed forces and their dependents (spouses and children) may be eligible for naturalization, to include expedited and overseas processing, under special provisions of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA).

Did you know that Since September 2002, USCIS has naturalized 89,095 members of the military ( Source: U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services)

It is very important to know the Military branches (also service branch or armed service):

  • imagesArmy
  • Navy
  • Marine Corps
  • Air Force
  • Coast Guard
  • National Guard
  • Selected Reserve


Remember that there are some requirements and qualifications for serving in the U.S. Armed Forces!

Each branch of the Service has different requirements. But there are general qualifications and requirements:

  • Good moral character
  • Knowledge of English
  • Knowledge of U.S. government and History (“civics”)121010-F-GA320-006
  • Attachment to the principles of the U.S. Constitution
  • Taking the Oath of Allegiance.

Note: Members and certain veterans of the U.S. armed forces may be eligible for naturalization through their military service under Section 328 or 329 of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA).

Here are some ways to obtain U.S. citizenship through naturalization:

  1. Naturalization through One Year of Qualifying Service During “Peacetime”

This section applies to all members currently serving in the U.S. Armed Forces or those who have recently separated from service.

The military community sometimes refers to this as “peacetime naturalization.”

An applicant for naturalization (under section 328 of the INA) must:

  • Be age 18 or older;
  • Have served honorably in the U.S. armed forces for at least 1 year and, if separated from the U.S. armed forces, have been separated honorably;
  • Be a permanent resident;
  • Apply while in the service or within 6 (six) months after being separated.

2.  Naturalization through Qualifying Service during Periods of Hostilities

This section is for currently serving members or veterans who served in an active-duty status or in the Selected Reserve of the Ready Reserve during designated periods of conflict.

Also you are able to qualify under INA 329 if:

  • You have served honorably in the U.S.A. Armed Forces during an authorized period of conflict;
  • After enlistment, you were lawfully admitted as a permanent resident of the United States;
  • OR at the time of enlistment, reenlistment, or introduction you were physically present in the United States or a qualifying area.


Remember: Service members are not charged filling or biometrics fees.

In order to get information about completing the applications watch our Video at the bottom of the page.

Application process, necessary documents may be horribly tedious and frustrating. That’s why do not hesitate to contact a good, experienced immigration lawyer to help you to become an U.S. citizen. You may find many qualified lawyers on Legal Bistro, to help you with your case.

To obtain more information about Naturalization process, Citizenship for Military Personnel please watch our Video:



Our motto is "When Lawyers Compete You Win!" If you are a consumer in need of legal services, you can post your case anonymously and Free of Charge. If you are an attorney seeking new clients, you may register on the site for free. You will only pay when a client requests that you contact them to discuss their case.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

six × 5 =

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>