Restraining order or also called order of protection is a form of a legal injunction that requires a party to do, or to refrain from doing, certain acts.
A restraining order:
- prohibits the abuser from contacting, attacking, striking, telephoning or disturbing the peace of the victim
- forces the abuser to move from a residence shared with the victim
- orders the abuser to stay at least 100 yards away from the victim, his or her place of residence and place of employment
- orders the abuser to attend counselings
- prohibits the abuser from purchasing a firearm
- may also provide the safety of the children and others living in the home